I n n o v a t i v e M a r i n e P r o d u c t s f o r t h e I n f o r m e d S e a f a r e r - S i n c e 1 9 9 5
Actisense NMEA 2000 / NMEA 0183 Gateway NGW-1-AIS (also known as: NGW-1-ISO-AIS)
Hook up to NMEA 2000 now, while keeping your current NMEA 0183 devices ...
The Actisense® NMEA 2000 to NMEA 0183 Gateway is the easiest way to link between a boats old and new data networks. The NGW-1 can convert NMEA 0183 data into NMEA 2000 data and vice-versa.
Using the advanced configuration software it is simple to set up which data items you want translated between the two buses.
The NGW-1 allows current NMEA 0183 equipment to be kept, or allows the latest NMEA 2000 equipment to be incorporated into the NMEA 0183 system. Once the single cable NMEA 2000 bus system has been installed, data from any node on the bus can be listened to by any other, including any NMEA 0183 instruments connected using an NGW-1.
The new Actisense NMEA Reader software utility can now be downloaded from this page. This utility allows the NGW-1 user to view and understand (in detail) the translated NMEA 0183 sentences output by an NGW-1 device directly, or via an Actisense USG-1.
The NMEA 2000 network acts like a bi-directional multiplexer, allowing all data sources to talk and listen to each other.
The NGW-1 is available in four configurations:
NGW-1-ISO: Standard option - Opto-isolated input, and ISO-Drive output for direct NMEA 0183 device bi-directional connection.
The very latest Actisense® ISO-Drive technology has been used in the NGW-1 to separate the output from ground. Electrical spike protection is provided as standard on the NGW-1's input using full galvanic Opto-isolation to provide superior protection to the NMEA source device. Thus full isolation is maintained between the NMEA 0183 input / output and the NMEA 2000 CAN bus connections.
NGW-1-AIS (NGW-1-ISO-AIS): NMEA 0183 AIS option - a pre-configured version of the standard NGW-1-ISO that enables the conversion of NMEA 0183 AIS data to its equivalent in NMEA 2000.
The NGW-1-ISO-AIS provides an out-of-the-box solution for quick installation with no configuration required. Please view the latest issue of the conversion list to see which AIS conversions the unit can perform.
NGW-1-USB: NMEA 0183 chartplotter option - full USB (1.1 & 2.0) interface for bi-directional connection to a PC.
Normally for use with existing NMEA 0183 chartplotter software or similar. Full galvanic Opto-isolation is provided for superior protection of PC. Thus full isolation is maintained between the NMEA 0183 input / output and the NMEA 2000 CAN bus.
NGW-1-STNG: Raymarine® SeaTalk NG option - enables users to convert NMEA 0183 data into SeaTalk NG and vice-versa, providing seamless integration with Raymarine® products.
This option combines a standard NGW-1-ISO with a Raymarine SeaTalk NG adaptor cable to interface legacy instruments to the NMEA 2000 based SeaTalk NG bus.
Simple to use, the NGW-1 is provided with all required cabling, and also incorporates screw terminal connectors within the case to allow customer specific wiring to be used (if required).
NMEA 2000 Connection
• Full specification NMEA 2000 port using an isolated CAN bus connection at 250kbps
• ISO-Drive Flexible Output
• Electrically isolated from both NMEA 2000 port and OPTO input
• Exceeds all NMEA 0183 output drive specifications
• Capable of driving more than 10 NMEA 0183 compliant listeners
• Can send data to PC (RS232) or Marine (NMEA 0183) listeners
• Short circuit protected
• Static discharge protected
• Baud rate selectable from 4800 to 115200
OPTO-Isolated Flexible Input
• Full galvanic opto-isolation offering up to 2.5kV DC protection from both NMEA 2000 port and ISO-Drive output
• Compatible with PC (RS232) or Marine (NMEA 0183) data talkers
• Current limited to NMEA 0183 specification
• Overdrive protection to 40 volts DC
• Baud rate selectable from 4800 to 115200 Baud
• Operating systems supported: Windows 98, ME, 2000 and XP
• Supplied on CD
• The NGW-1 software runs on one of the latest low power 32-bit microprocessors
• Flash upgradeable and field reprogrammable
• Fully configurable to suit any installation requirements
• For the latest comprehensive list of conversions please refer to the NGW-1 area on the Actisense website
• Supply voltage taken from the NMEA 2000 bus
• Supply voltage range: 10 to 35 volts DC
• Current Consumption: 30 mA off load @ 12v DC , 16 mA off load @ 24v DC
• Recommended operating temperature: -20°C to +70°C
• Splash proof plastic casing provided with sealing grommets to IP54
• Recommended humidity: 0 - 80% RH
• Weight: 200 grams including cables
• Dimensions: see diagram
• Cable length: NMEA 2000 - 1 metre, NMEA 0183 - 2 metres
• Guarantee: 3 years